2010-09-15

Phone Home! – Accounting for Mobile Web Browsers

ipadMy son recently complained that he had to wait until his 12th birthday to get a mobile phone. 

My response: I had to wait until cell phones were invented!

Anyone in my age group (which will become painfully obvious soon) remembers the real ‘movers and shakers’ of the 1990s had the ‘bag phone’ that was carried in an over-the-shoulder bag that contained a gigantic phone and an even more gigantic battery (that held 2 hours of talk time at $4.99/minute).

 Looking back,the following boggles my mind:

  • The first time I viewed the Internet was in ‘96. 
  • That same year, I sent my first email.
  • I was required to use the Internet for college first in 1998.
  • I got my first cell phone in 2000 – a full 2 years after graduating college.
  • I did not have Internet access at home until 2002.

That doesn’t seem all that long ago – particularly when you take a step back to evaluate where Internet and cellular technology are today and how it is constantly evolving.

pbig

Every day, more and more people around the world are utilizing their mobile device as an Internet browser.  Think of all the people utilizing an iPhone/iPad, Android, Blackberry and/or Palm to access the Internet.  Because of this, you should be thinking of the following as you continue working on your web strategy:

  • Is my website using Flash? – Flash is not supported by iPhone, iPad, Android, etc.
  • Does my site have a mobile interface?
  • Does my site need a mobile interface?
  • Does my site recognize what browser (mobile vs. conventional) is being used to view the site and act accordingly?

These are all things that you should be thinking of as adoption of mobile web browsing becomes more popular and mainstream.  Our team at AI Software can build applications that will recognize these technologies and display your web site appropriately. 

It’s part of the the next generation of web browsing – and we would like you to be on board!

Send me an email if you need help or would like more information!

Terry
terry@aisoftwareinc.com
24x2424x2424x2424x24

No comments:

Post a Comment