By now, any credible organization realizes that they need a central website. Most organizations know what a blog is – many have considered one and even set one up. . . but, does your organization really need a blog?
Short Answer: YES
Medium Answer: YES, but only if you can keep up with it.
Long Answer: Read below!
The Wiki definition of a blog is as follows:
A blog (a blend of the term "web log") is a type of website or part of a website. Blogs are usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order. "Blog" can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.
The social networking craze has helped blogs become increasingly more popular for individuals and businesses alike. Much like other social media outlets, a blog can offer many benefits – but is only effective if created and maintained properly.
Let’s take a look at some of the key benefits of maintaining a blog:
- Blogs provide another instance of your organization online.
- Blogs provide a casual and non-intrusive way to connect with your customers.
- Blogs are indexed by search engines.
- Blogs can deliver important and useful information to your stakeholders.
- Blogs can be linked to your other social media for cross-linking & increased exposure.
- Blogs can be used to demonstrate expertise in your field.
- You are reading a blog right now, so they must work, right?
It’s true that a blog can offer these benefits and more. But to be effective, you should make note of the following:
- If you cannot keep up with a blog (1-2 updates/month minimum) – do not create a blog.
- A blog is PART of your online marketing strategy – not 100% of your online marketing strategy.
- DO NOT use a blog to push products/services in an aggressive manner.
- DO use a blog to inform your stakeholders with useful information.
- Use a blog as a suppliment to your online strategy, link to other instances of your organization on the web.
- HINT: www.ezinearticles.com is a great website to brainstorm for new blog ideas.
If you only remember one thing from this article, please remember to not trouble yourself with setting up a blog unless you can keep it up to date. Shoot me an email if you are looking for more tips/tricks. We’re happy to help.